SmarTrike has many multi-stage trikes for babies and toddlers. In today’s comparison guide, we will look at the similarities and differences between SmarTrike 400 vs 500 vs 600 vs 700 folding tricycle.
As soon as babies and toddlers are able to sit up and navigate the outside world, many parents start shopping for a tricycle such as a 4-in-1 tricycle or a push trike with a parent handle. Some of the big brand names are Radio Flyer, Joovy, and SmarTrike.
Those who are evaluating SmarTrike tricycles often ask: what are the differences between SmarTrike 400, 500, 600, and 700 folding tricycles, and which one should I get? That’s what this comparison guide will answer. You can jump directly to our Comparison Section or read about our Reviews of all four SmarTrike options.
Our Final Verdict
Why Choose Between SmarTrike 400 vs 500 vs 600 vs 700 Folding Tricycles?
Among all the tricycle brands, why do you want to choose SmarTrike? More specifically, why do you want to choose from SmarTrike 400 vs 500 vs 600 vs 700 folding tricycles?
SmarTrike is a brand that specializes in children’s bikes. That’s what they do and what they only focus on. That is also the main reason that many parents prefer SmarTrike over other brands such as Joovy who have a diversified product catalog.
But why 400 vs 500 vs 600 vs 700 folding trikes?
The answer depends on your child’s age. SmarTrike 400 vs 500 vs 600 vs 700 series are folding tricycles that are designed for babies and toddlers between 9 months and 2 years. And importantly, these four trike options are foldable.
Therefore, if you are shopping for a tricycle for a baby or a small toddler and portability is important to you, then SmarTrike 400 vs 500 vs 600 vs 700 series are the best options.
How to Compare SmarTrike 400 vs 500 vs 600 vs 700 Folding Tricycles?
If you just glance at these four tricycles, you probably won’t find much of a difference besides the look and the price. So what factors should you take into consideration when comparing SmarTrike 400 vs 500 vs 600 vs 700 folding tricycles? Here are some of the most important criteria:
Comparison of SmarTrike 400 vs 500 vs 600 vs 700 Folding Tricycles
In this section, we will put SmarTrike 400 vs 500 vs 600 vs 700 folding tricycles side by side, and evaluate their similarities and differences using the important factors we laid out above.
1. Age Range
Similarities: All four models of SmarTrike 400 vs 500 vs 600 vs 700 folding trikes can be used for babies and toddlers between 9 months and 3 years.
Differences: The exact age range for these four models are slightly different.
- The recommended age range for SmarTrike 400 Folding Trike is 9 months and up. It’s the only bike among all four that doesn’t have an upper limit. But based on the design of this bike and many parents’ feedback, most kids outgrow this trike around 30 months when they transition to a balance bike or a regular bike.
- The recommended age range for SmarTrike 500 and 600 trikes is between 9 months and 3 years.
- The recommended age range for SmarTrike 700 baby tricycle is between 6 months and 3 years. Therefore, it is a more suitable option for eager parents who want to start using the trike once their babies turn half-year-old.
2. Ways of Use
Similarities: All four models of SmarTrike 400 vs 500 vs 600 vs 700 folding trikes can be configured in at least 6 ways throughout a child’s toddler age.
Differences: There are some small differences between these four bikes in terms of their configurations and respective age range. The main difference is that the high back on SmarTrike 400 cannot be taken off, and SmarTrike 700 has an infant stage for babies to sit facing the parents.
Below are the details about the configurations for these four tricycles.
- SmarTrike 400 Folding Trike: During Stage 2 (9 to 12 months) – your child will use the early-stage footrest. During Stage 3 (12 to 18 months) – you can fold down the footrest. During Stage 4 (18 to 24 months) – you can remove the canopy. During Stage 5 (24 to 30 months) – you can attach the pedal and enable the steering handle. During Stage 6 (30 to 36 months) – you can close the telescope parent handle and use the bike as an independent kids trike. But what about Stage 1? Stage 1 is not a real stage but more of a marketing term. That’s when the bike is folded flat for transportation purposes.
- SmarTrike 500 and 600 Folding Trike: SmarTrike 500 and 600 folding tricycle both have 7 configurations and the same age range. There is only one slight difference between SmarTrike 500/600 and 400. That is you can take off the high back between 32 to 36 months to make the bike more comfortable for your child.
- SmarTrike 700 Folding Trike: SmarTrike 700 has 8 ways of use. Comparing to SmarTrike 500 and 600, SmarTrike 700 has an infant stage for babies between 6 and 9 months. During this stage, you can put your baby in the reclining and swivel seat so that your child can face you or take a nap. The remaining 7 stages are the same as SmarTrike 500 and 600.
3. Tires and Brakes
Similarities: SmarTrike 400 vs 500 vs 600 vs 700 folding trikes all feature EAV foam rubber tires. EAV (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate) is a durable plastic foam material that is commonly used on toddler trikes. They don’t have threads and are meant for flat outdoor surfaces.
In terms of brakes, SmarTrike 400, 500, and 600 don’t have any brake system. You need to manually stop the trikes and they can only be parked on a leveled surface. SmarTrike 700 is the only one that has brakes.
Differences: SmarTrike 700 features a back wheel brake that you can operate by foot. This is useful if you need to park the trike on a slope.
If you need a toddler trike that can travel on tougher roads such as beaches or hiking trails, you can consider Radio Flyer All-Terrain Trike. The wheels on this tricycle are made of real rubber air tires.
Similarities: SmarTrike 400 vs 500 vs 600 vs 700 folding tricycles all have a storage bag at the bottom of the parent steering handle. Additionally, none of these four tricks have a cup holder for children.
Differences: SmarTrike 400 and 500 both have a standard flat storage bag for small items such as phones, wallets, and small toys.
However, SmarTrike 600 and 700 both have a much bigger storage bag that you can store baby essentials such as bottles, snacks, and diapers. Additionally, these two trikes feature a parent pouch at the top of the parent steering handle so that you can quickly access your phone or keys.
Similarities: All four models of SmarTrike 400 vs 500 vs 600 vs 700 folding tricycles can fold down flat for easy transportation and storage. They all use the compact folding mechanism patented by SmarTrike. You can easily fit any of these models in the back of your car.
However, you will definitely need two hands to fold or open these trikes. To do that, you need to first lower the parent handle, then fold down the canopy and seat back, and then close the seat into the back of the parent handle frame.
All of these four trikes measure about 38.19 x 39.37 x 18.9 inches and SmarTrike 400, 500, and 600 all weigh around 17 pounds.
Differences: SmarTrike 700 is the heaviest trike among all four models. It weighs about 19 pounds. However, the size of SmarTrike 700 is the same as SmarTrike 400, 500, and 600.
Differences: Now let’s take a look at the differences between these four trikes in terms of how comfortable they are to ride in.
- Paddings. SmarTrike 400 tricycle is the only model that doesn’t have any padding on the seatback or the safety strap. All the other three models are fully padded and are much more comfortable to sit in.
- Body Rail. SmarTrike 400 vs 500 vs 600 vs 700 folding trikes all have body rails that can be removed.
- Footrest and Pedals. All four models have a fold-in footrest as well as a leg rest platform. They all come with removable pedals that you can install once your child is ready to use them.
- Safety Strap. SmarTrike 700 trike is the only one that features a 5-point safety harness while all other three models only have a 3-point safety belt.
- Reclining Seat. SmarTrike 700 trike is the only trike that can recline and turn the direction of the seat.
- Canopy. SmarTrike 400 is the only one that comes with a standard canopy while SmarTrike 500, 600, and 700 feature a UV-blocking extendable canopy.
- Parent Handle. All four trikes feature a patented touch steering for parents to easily maneuver the tricycle.
7. Color Options
Similarities: All four SmarTrike models come in red color.
Differences: In terms of color options, SmarTrike 500 is the only one that has multiple color options while SmarTrike 400, 500, and 700 only come in red.
Which One Is the Best: SmarTrike 400 vs 500 vs 600 vs 700 Folding Tricycles?
So which folding tricycle is the best? Is the SmarTrike 400, 500, 600, or 700? Our recommendation is that SmarTrike 700 is the best option if you are buying a trike for a baby and SmarTrike 600 is the best choice if you are buying a trike for a toddler.
Among all the four SmarTrike models we compared today, SmarTrike 400 6-in-1 folding trike is the most basic model.
SmarTrike 400 is designed for babies 9 months or older. It can be configured in six ways as your child grows.
This trike features a chock absorber to reduce turbulence on uneven grounds. Like all other three models, this trike features a easy-steering parent handle and can fold into a storage bag.
The disappointment though is that SmarTrike 400 doesn’t have paddings on the seatback and the high back cannot be taken down during the last stage.
Who Is It for?
We don’t recommend SmarTrike 400 6-in-1 Folding Trike as it has less features but costs about the same as other models.
- Dimension: 38.19 x 39.37 x 18.9 inches
- Weight: 17.05 pounds
- Color Options: Red
SmarTrike 500 is a more upgrade version of SmarTrike 400. The main improvements we see are the seat and canopy.
The seat of SmarTrike 500 features removable padding that covers the seatback as well as the seat. The soft fabric makes it more comfortable for your toddler to sit inside. Additionally, the high seatback can be taken down once your child reaches 32 months. By then, your child can use this tricycle without your assistance.
The canopy on SmarTrike 500 is expandable to give your toddler maximum protection from the sunshine and UV rays.
The key benefit of SmarTrike 500 is that it offers multiple colors in addition to the standard red.
Who Is This For?
SmarTrike 500 Folding Baby Tricycle is the best for stylish parents who want more color options.
- Dimension: 38.2 x 18.9 x 39.4 inches
- Weight: 17 pounds
- Color Options: Multiple
If you are shopping for a SmarTrike folding tricycle for toddlers, we recommend SmarTrike 600 series.
For the same price, you can get all the features that SmarTrike 400 and 500 offer plus more.
SmarTrike 600 sports an easy child/parent control so that you switch the control between yourself and your child. Additionally, the front wheel training pedals are removable and you can easily activate them once your child is ready.
The biggest advantage of SmarTrike 600 is that it sports an extra-large storage bag on the parent handle so that you can store bigger items. It can also be removed from the trike for cleaning.
Another bonus of SmarTrike 600 is that there is a parent pouch on the parent steering handle for phones, keys, and snacks.
Who Is It For?
We recommend SmarTrike 600 Folding Baby Tricycle for parents who are shopping for a tricycle for toddlers.
- Dimension: 38.2 x 18.9 x 39.4 inches
- Weight: 17 Pounds
- Color Options: Red
If you are one of the eager parents who want to start using a tricycle as soon as your child turns 6-month-old, then SmarTrike 700 is the best option.
SmarTrike SmarTfold 700 baby tricycle has one additional stage comparing to SmarTrike 500 and 600 trikes. In the infant stage, you can turn the seat around so that your baby can face you. Additionally, you can rotate the storage bag and convert it into a platform for your baby to rest his feet.
Another key benefit of SmarTrike 700 is that the seat can recline in all stages. That’s why it is the only trike in which your child can lie down and take a nap.
SmarTrike 700 weighs 2 pounds more than the other models but its size is unchanged.
Who Is It For?
We recommend SmarTrike700 Folding Baby Tricycle for parents who want to use the tricycle for infants.
- Dimension: 38.2 x 18.9 x 39.4 inches
- Weight: 18.92 pounds
- Color Options: Red
A parent push tricycle is a wonderful tool for parents to take their babies and toddlers around and give them a new perspective of the world. SmarTrike 400 vs 500 vs 600 vs 700 tricycles are some of the best choices when it comes to folding trikes that are easy to carry around and store.
Our final recommendation is that SmarTrike 500 is the best for parents who care about the colors of the trike, SmarTrike 600 is the best for parents buying a trike for toddlers, and SmarTrike 700 is the best for infants.
Cecilia Yeung is a successful entrepreneur and product researcher. She has a background in psychology and children’s education. As a working mother of two, she loves to write about children’s education and development.